Sunday 22 December 2013

Shore Temple at Mahabalipuram


After spending some time in Madras Crocodile Bank Trust, we drove to Mahabalipuram which is about 53 kms from Chennai.
 
Shore Temple
Shore Temple
It was a weekday, the road was not that crowded with vehicles. I heard that during the weekends, Mahabalipuram is packed with tourists and sometimes it is hard to get parking space. In less than an hour we were in Mahabalipuram Shore Temple.
Carvings - Shore Temple Complex
Carvings - Shore Temple Complex

 

The Shore Temple

 
The shore temple is just a part of many temples of Mahabalipuram. Unfortunately we could explore only the Shore Temple.
 
Carvings - Shore Temple Complex
 
After visiting this place and reading many books about the Shore Temple of Mahabalipuram, I feel that this temple seems to be the first temple built by an Hindu king with in-depth architectural details.
 
Carvings - Shore Temple Complex
 
At the entrance of the temple complex, I saw a board stating that photography was not allowed and so I kept my camera inside my bag. Once inside the temple complex I was surprised to see almost all the tourists clicking photos with cameras - right from small mobile camera to a SLR.
 
Carvings - Shore Temple Complex
 
I should admit that this temple complex is maintained superbly. The beach nearby is also maintained well.
 
Reclining Vishnu
 
I have documented a little more detail about the shore temple in my website.
 
We didn’t get much time to explore other temples of Mahabalipuram. I returned promising my self visiting again this place and capture all the beautiful temples here.
 
Beach Mahabalipuram
 
After visiting the beach side temple, it is quite obvious that tourists will visit the beach. We had to come out of temple complex  to enter the beach. The gate to the beach from the Shore Temple Complex was closed. It was a long walk.
 
Mahabalipuram Beach
 
One can find many shops selling variety of articles like toys, decorated mirrors, stone carvings and many more.
 
There was also a fish stall selling pan fried fish. I did not dared to taste it. I wouldn’t recommend others as well.
 
Yekamber Tags:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment